Charles and Ray Eames realised their first successful, single-shell form in 1950 with the Moulded Fibreglass Chairs. However, when the environmental risks associated with fibreglass production became more widely understood, the decision was made to switch to a safer plastic.
In 2004, Herman Miller reintroduced the Moulded Plastic Chair in polypropylene. In addition to being 100 percent recyclable, the polypropylene shell chair's subtle matte texture offers a soft tactility as well as notable durability.
The chairs are available in both the arm and side chair formats in five archival colours—or upholstery—and can be configured with a choice of wire, dowel leg, stacking, rocker, and 4-leg bases.
An array of trim, finely tailored Hopsak fabrics designed by Alexander Girard, Herman Miller’s Textile Director from 1952 to 1973, round out the collection of shell customisation options, fully restoring the integrity of the original 1953 shell chair offerings.