Smart Ocean Task Chair by Humanscale
Designed by Niels Diffrient
The most sustainable chair in the world. Smart Ocean is the embodiment of our commitment to sustainable manufacturing and incorporates almost 2 pounds of recycled fishing net. Featuring the same Form-Sensing Mesh Technology and transparent functionality as the Diffrient Smart chair, Smart Ocean instantly adjusts to each unique user — as if each chair was made for them. With an aesthetic driven by functionality, Smart Ocean has a timeless beauty that’s universally relevant in any workspace.
Smart Ocean utilizes material from discarded fishing nets that have been collected in an effort to develop innovative solutions to prevent ocean plastic pollution. The nets are transformed into plastic pellets and then used to manufacture Smart Ocean chairs. Smart Ocean is the first-ever ergonomic chair to be built with recycled net and is also certified by the International Living Future Institute to the full Living Product Challenge — meeting the most rigorous sustainable manufacturing criteria to date.
WHAT IS A NET POSITIVE PRODUCT?
Smart Ocean is Living Product Certified, meeting the most rigorous sustainable manufacturing criteria to date. This means that Smart Ocean is climate, water and energy positive. Every time we make these products the planet is better off. With a mission to create a healthier world, we are proud that over 60% of our products are certified net positive.
- Smart automatically adjusts to each sitter and provides perfect support to any posture
- Non-stretch, tri-panel backrest provides instant, extraordinary comfort and lumbar support
- Form-Sensing Mesh Technology features tri-panel, non-stretch mesh construction for body-hugging comfort
- Automatic weight-sensitive recline ergonomically accommodates users without the clumsy interference of external devices or mechanisms for ultimate ease of use
- Shaped seat cushions are carefully sculpted to fit the body’s contours to enhance ergonomic comfort
- Optional, high-performance armrests move forward and backward, as well as inward and outward
- Size-adjustable design fits more than 95% of the population
- Recycled content: 16% post-consumer, 14% pre-consumer
- Weight 15.4kg
- 15 Year Warranty, 5 year warranty on textiles and mesh
- Weight Rating up to 136 kg
The Smart Ocean task chair is stocked in 1 finish.
Black Frame / Black Mesh with Arms
673mm W x 673mm D x 1016mm-1138mm HSHOW MORE SHOW LESS
Available on backorder
|Lead time:||Ready to ship|
|Delivery:||More info on delivery|
|Returns:||Read our full returns policy|
Humanscale is a leading designer and manufacturer of ergonomic products that improve the health and comfort of work life.
Their award-winning office solutions, including self-adjusting seating, sit/stand desks, monitor arms and task lighting, inspire movement and support the user in every posture.
The Humanscale Design Studio, based in New York City, abides by the philosophy that good design achieves more with less. Function, simplicity, and longevity, and sustainability are at the core of all our designs. When thinking through the design and manufacturing of each product, they carefully consider the materials and resources used, in aim of creating an overall Net Positive impact.
Known for their history of collaboration with the legendary designer Niels Diffrient, designer of many of Humanscale’s task chairs, including the iconic Freedom chair – the first self-adjusting chair without manual knobs or levers.
Their innovations have been honoured with more than 200 prestigious awards since 2007 and featured in various museums, such as the Museum of Modern Art.